Friday, October 18, 2019

Figuring Out Buyer Behavior No. 2 - 15A




Interviewees: I found three people who live in Central Florida and that I have not previously interviewed. They are all females ranging from 23-32 years old who work full time and are not married and have no children.

In my last interviews, I asked various people about their needs and preferences regarding their gym attendance and working out styles. I shared with them my gym reward concept, and for the most part, they were all open to it. For the new interviews, I presented them with the original idea plus two alternatives.

Alternative #1 is that they have a set price with no penalties or incentives but with instructional videos at each station.  Alternative #2 is the reward system, with a bit higher rate but no penalties if they can't make it.

London liked alternative #2 with no penalties because life happens, and you don't want to discourage your customers from canceling their membership just for the added fees. Beatriz agreed but also said that I could charge more than an average gym because the members were, in a way receiving virtual personal training with the instructional videos in each station. I loved how she described the concept of virtual personal training. Amanda liked the original idea of how it was presented. She thought the penality fees would encourage her to not skip going to the gym but suggested I added a penalty waiver of three times a month, just in case an emergency happened. I asked them what they all thought a fair price would be for a gym like the one I am proposing. London said she'd pay $50/month, Beatriz $75/month, and Amanda said $45. All three ladies agreed that a month to month contract would entice them more to join.


Post-Purchase Evaluation:  People feel discouraged when signing up for a gym because they feel lost and don't know what they're doing, or they sometimes feel like gyms are ripping them off. But if a gym gives them the confidence and encouragement they are seeking, then purchasing a gym membership makes them feel like they've made a good investment. As long as there are no hidden fees, and there is an easy cancellation policy, people would be more inclined to join and keep their membership.

Report The Findings: None of the ladies that I interviewed seemed interested in the reward concept. They did like the instructional videos in each station idea, and they all were in agreeance to a set price with no hidden fees.

Conclusion: Based on the new interviewees and their responses, an alternative proposal was needed. It made me analyze and refocus my objective for the gym. Although a reward system seems innovative, in the long run, it wouldn't be sustainable. It would be too hard to manage different prices for each individual member. The goal is to make a profit while at the same time giving the customer excellent quality service.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Fiorella,

    You did a great job conducting your interviews and analyzing the results. Your interviewees had different opinions on some aspects and this provided you with some very useful information. I, myself, have been to gyms that charge you for cancellations and it was very hard to keep up with because like London said, "life happens." I ultimately cancelled my membership at that gym because it was too hard to schedule when I would go to the gym and cancellation fees always left me feeling guilty. Great job reporting your findings and drawing conclusions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    Great job on your interviews. I love how you analyzed the different results of the interviews and compared them to your last interview. I love how you thought about the long term goals for your product. Making a profit from anything is always very important. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Fiorella,
    I think your survey and analysis have precisely summarized potential buyers' considerations, behavior patterns and expectations when they're looking for a gym. From your interview process and analysis, I can definitely see the reason you think that the reward system might be unsuitable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Fiorella,
    I think that your reward system gym would be wildly successful. People then feel they have something to gain and will want to go to the gym. Comparing these interviews to your last was a nice touch. Keep up the good work, I am excited to see where this project will take you.

    ReplyDelete

Final Reflection - 30A

1) Read through your posts from this semester. Recall all of the experiences you've had a long the way -- the highs, the lows -- the f...