Friday, November 22, 2019

Reading Reflection No. 3 -27A



I read How to Fail at Almost Everything and Still Win Big by Scott Adams.


1) What was the general theme or argument of the book?

The general theme of the book is that you shouldn't be afraid of failing. Failure is actually a good thing that should be embraced and used to your advantage. The author shares his failures and how he grew and learned from his experiences.

2) How did the book, in your opinion, connect with and enhance what you are learning in ENT 3003?

In the book, the author talked about persistence and emphasized on having a robust social network. After completing multiple assignments for ENT 3003, I can 100% agree with him. You need people to help you build your business. You don't know everything, and if you think you do, you'll won't be able to advance. The assignments we did regarding our social capital resources, as well as going out to interview people are great examples of us stepping outside out of our comfort zone and having the opportunity to expand our network. You never know who you're going to meet that will be able to help you along the way.

3) If you had to design an exercise for this class, based on the book you read, what would that exercise involve?

I would create a class exercise where the students write down their business idea and the steps needed to make that idea a reality. Building good habits and a routine will train you to be disciplined and become a hard worker. Small steps daily will yield better results and keep you on the right path to success. Building a system and consistently maintaining a routine is better than setting out unrealistic goals that will discourage you from seeing through your idea.

4) What was your biggest surprise or 'aha' moment when reading the book? In other words, what did you learn that differed most from your expectations?

My biggest "aha" moment was when Adams says that having goals actually hinders your success. At first, I was taken aback by that bold statement because I am a person who loves to set goals, but after understanding his message, I get it. Sometimes when you focus too much on the "goal," you essentially are expecting a hefty return and end up discouraged when that doesn't happen. He also says that you need more than a passion for succeeding, which I agree with. Passion and motivation are two things that can quickly disappear if you don't see instant results. Perseverance and hard work are the keys.


2 comments:

  1. Hi Fiorella,

    I love how you connected the messages of this book with what you have learned throughout this course. When conducting all of the interviews for this course, I gained a lot of knowledge and insight that I would've never thought of on my own. Your idea for this course would benefit students by creating their businesses one step at a time. I agree that perseverance and hard work are beneficial in order to succeed. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Fiorella,
    I'm really glad to hear that this book revealed that goals can sometimes become a burden. Indeed, making goals and plans are crucial for any kind of work. But I still find that some goals I set discourage me even before I take any action since they are too vague and general. Now I'm trying to break down overall goal in to many small, achievable ones whenever I plan to do something.

    ReplyDelete

Final Reflection - 30A

1) Read through your posts from this semester. Recall all of the experiences you've had a long the way -- the highs, the lows -- the f...